Scars are not just signs of physical injury. Particularly unsightly scars can have a serious effect on emotional well-being. Scars on the face, neck or other clearly visible places may cause feelings of unattractiveness or shame and lower self-esteem. Scars can start to restrict daily life and damage confidence.
A whirl of emotions can develop around a scar:
- Insecurity when the scar is visible to others
- Fear that a fresh scar could become infected
- Anger about the cause of the scar
- Worry about the loss of beauty
- Pain both physical and emotional
- Feelings of guilt about having allowed the injury to happen
- Disgust when seeing or touching the scar
- Sadness about the limits the scar places on everyday life
Many studies have confirmed that scars have a strong psychological impact. Interviews with 1,480 people in Germany, Russia, Mexico and the USA show that emotions and behaviours caused by scars are very similar all around the world.*
Scars tend to be more of a problem for women than for men. On men, they can even seem manly and attractive. Women with scars often feel a loss of attractiveness and femininity.
The less visible a scar is, the easier it is to live with. For best possible results, start treatment with Contractubex® as soon as the wound is closed or the stitches are removed.
That way your scar can be so discreet you will hardly notice it – and neither will anyone else.
* Omnibus Scars, August 2008